In 2008, I&I NSW, launched the primary schools Get hooked program. The program, which is funded by the NSW Recreational Fishing Trust, involved over 50 schools participating in a trial of the new revamped kit, where students and teachers enjoy learning about fish, their habitat and the importance of responsible recreational fishing.
The successful trial was then expanded throughout the state to also include freshwater locations and schools. In addition to schools being resourced with the program manual they are also provided with and interactive and discovery based Get Hooked its Fun to Fish kit involving hands-on activities and games to cover topics such as fishing safety, habitat protection, fishing rules and responsible fishing.
I & I NSW is looking to recruit new volunteers to be involved in this rewarding program.
The current training dates for volunteers are listed below:
- Newcastle 23rd – 24th February 2010
- Dubbo 2nd – 3rd March 2010
- Tamworth 4th – 5th March 2010
- Albury 9th – 10th March 2010
- Port Macquarie 16th – 17th March 2010
- Coffs Harbour 18th – 19th March 2010
- Cronulla 23rd – 24th March 2010
- Nowra 25th – 26th March 2010
Information on how to become involved is available at http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/info/get-hooked