WITH the deadline for submissions on the Commonwealth’s South-west marine reserves proposal looming, WA’s peak rec fishing body Recfishwest has released a draft submission for public feedback.
Under the Commonwealth proposal the South-west corner makes up part of a national bioregional plan which encompasses each of Australia’s marine regions.
The South-west marine reserve network comprises the following eight proposed marine reserves, including an extension of the existing Great Australian Bight Marine Park:
- Proposed Abrolhos Commonwealth marine reserve
- Proposed Jurien Commonwealth marine reserve
- Proposed Perth Canyon Commonwealth marine reserve
- Proposed South-west Corner Commonwealth marine reserve
- Proposed Eastern Recherche Commonwealth marine reserve
- Proposed Great Australian Bight (extension) Commonwealth marine reserve
- Proposed Western Eyre Commonwealth marine reserve
- Proposed Western Kangaroo Island Commonwealth marine reserve
Representing the interests of Western Australia’s rec fishers, Recfishwest is formally recognised and funded by the WA government and undertakes consultation with the state’s rec fishing community on issues relating to marine and freshwater ecosystem management in WA. In its draft submission, Recfishwest makes recommendations in relation to the above proposed marine reserves.
The draft submission can be downloaded HERE.
The deadline for submissions is August 8.